You may have heard of the buzz around microneedling. This is probably due to it's popularity with celebrities Jennifer Aniston, Kim Kardashian, Brad Pitt and Demi Moore. It gives you fantastic results without going under the knife. Here is all the info you need to know.
Other names for microneedling include skin needling and collagen induction therapy. There are two different methods:
The derma roller which is a rolling instrument covered in fine needles. The device is rolled repeatedly over the skin creating micro-injuries to encourage the skin’s natural healing process. However, because of the horizontal direction of the needles is can cause damage to the tissues, it also makes it less efficient on scars.
The micropen. We chose to work with the DR. Dermic Gold Pen as it is the safest and most hygienic on the market. Using a vertical delivery method to make it easier and more effective on scars and on smaller areas, such as the lip, nose and eyes. A single use head is used. This opens thousands of microchannels safely and quickly, allowing the penetration of active ingredients deeper into the skin. There is also less downtime than with the roller.
Skin Conditions We Treat
- Acne scarring
- Age spots (sun damage, hyperpigmentation)
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Sagging skin
- Enlarged pores
Microneedling is also safe form of rejuvenation to have done during the summer months and is suitable for almost all skin types.
How it works
- The action of the Dr. Dermic Gold Pen on the skin encourages collagen and elastin production. This is due to the fibroblastic reaction caused by the micro-injuries.
- It enables the specific, active ingredients in the serums - eg. hylauronic acid, zinc and retinols - to penetrate at a much deeper level, giving a greater improvement with each treatment.
- Age spots are reduced. The outer layers are exfoliated and the skin is deeply renewed. This leads to brighter skin, refined pores and a reduction in scar depth.
- Renewed collagen will come into effect about four weeks after your treatment. Results last up to two years, depending on your lifestyle, age and health.
The Treatment Procedure
- First of all, a consultation and assessment will be done by your therapist to ensure your suitability (it is suitable for most skin types).
- Secondly, if you proceed with the treatment your skin will be cleansed to remove any surface oils and makeup. Then a local anaesthetic cream is applied to minimise any discomfort.
- Depending on the skin type and desired outcome your therapist will choose a serum. The active ingredients from this will be delivered to the targeted areas during the skin needling.
- Once the skin needling is completed your skin may feel very warm, then a cooling, calming Hydra Gel Mask is applied. This reduces redness, closes the pores, enhances the effectiveness of the products applied and creates an antibacterial barrier. Over this we will place an *LED* mask to reduce inflammation even further.
- To finish EGF cream (Epidermal Growth Factor Cream) is applied to all of the areas you have had treated. It aids in skin regeneration and healing. Atfer care instructions will be given by your therapist.
- For approximately four hours post treatment your skin may be very red. Aim to do as little as possible during that time.
There may be redness (akin to mild sunburn) for one to four days after the treatment and some slight swelling. Makeup can be applied to cover it and you can carry on as normal. Mineral makeup is advisable, as it contains Spf and ingredients to reduce inflammation and calm the skin.
The Eminence Organics Mineral Spf Powders are available here https://www.eminence.ie/shop/sun-care-face/translucent-sun-defense-minerals/
Your best outcome will be achieved when your skin is properly prepped in the weeks prior to the treatment by using the correct skincare at home. Our experienced microneedling therapists will advise you beforehand on what is needed. If you have a big event coming up leave a gap of a week or more after having it done.
As a result of the microneedling treatment your skin will be firmer and younger looking, as well as smoother and brighter. For you to achieve optimum results a course of 3-5 treatments is recommended, done at 3-4 weeks intervals.
Book your Microneedling appointment here https://www.thewicklowstreetclinic.ie/micro-needling/
*LED* treatments use an array of bright light-emitting diodes (first created by NASA!) that send low-level light energy into the deeper layers of the skin. Red light LED activates cellular activity, especially the fibroblasts that produce collagen, which creates bouncier skin. That helps minimise fine lines and wrinkles, treat sun-exposed skin and reduce redness after IPL, laser and microneedling treatments.
Blue light LED kills Propionibacterium acnes, the bacteria that lives below the surface of the skin and is responsible for acne.